Gondar University was established in Gondar, the formal capital of Ethiopia in 1954, and includes the oldest medical school in Ethiopia. It currently has 13,000 students enrolled on undergraduate and postgraduate courses offered by twenty-two departments.
Medical students receive training within the 400 bed university hospital, which acts as the referral centre for four district hospitals and serves a population of four million across the region. The staff of approximately includes 50 doctors, 150 nursing staff, 3 pharmacists, 90 care staff and 25 laboratory scientists. The University aims to continue to increase the number of graduates enrolled in its various courses, so that a growing number of young people will have the skills to contribute in the ongoing efforts to speed up development in the country.
In 2009, Gondar University Hospital and WAHA created a new partnership to create a fistula treatment department and teaching facility within the medical school. In addition, WAHA will be supporting the Department of Obstetrics and Gynacology to improve access to emergency Caesarean sections and to provide the additional materials and equipment that are needed to best the best quality care. WAHA is also developing a comprehensive maternal care intervention within Gondar Region to improve access to emergency obstetric care by reducing delays in care seeking among women before and during their deliveries. Read more about this project under our activities.